Monday, March 12, 2012

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins



Yes, yes, well I'm working my way through the ever popular The Hunger Games Trilogy Seeing that the books are still topping Amazon's best selling lists, everyone else in the world is reading them too.

Honestly, if they were not so popular, I'm not sure I would have picked up these books. I don't read a lot of Young Adult but occasionally dip my foot in the waters. Since these books were so popular, I decided to try them to see what the fuss was about.

I love the dystopian world Ms. Collins has created and it's fantastical qualities and the well told storyline is appealing. I did find myself so stressed out reading The Hunger Games
that I just wanted it to be over. It's really horrific when you think about it. Children killing children and this is in a world where it's okay and somehow I felt that as I was "enjoying" the book, I was taking part in it as well. It left me with an eerie, creepy feeling.

I was hoping that Catching Fire would be about Katniss mentoring someone and was enjoying the book, even hoping it might really turn into Katniss, Peeta and Gale leading their family and friends into the wilderness outside of District 12 and how they survived. That would have been very interesting to me so I was disappointed when everyone went back into the arena. I had to go with them and found the whole, "quell, back in the arena storyline" repetitious.

Of course, now I'm hooked into finding out what happened to District 12 and what kind of rebellion is going on! I have the third book but will take a little break from the intensity and pick it up later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me also step out of The Hunger Games goosestep and agree with you. I would have liked to have see Catching Fire take a different direction. It really did feel a bit like 'been there done that'. But, I have to admit, I read it all in one sitting - deep into the night. Like you, I also felt a little 'morally tainted' by it all, as if I was someone from the Capital watching all this. I won't spoil Mockingjay for you, but all I will say is that it was my least favourite book in the series.
Gwynneth
http://todayinshenaya.blogspot.com

Kate said...

Thanks for the comment Gwynneth, I would love to talk to teenagers about this book and find out what they like about it. There's a reason it's so popular. I'm wondering if it's hitting some subconscious feelings in some way.....