Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Kindle Singles



I finished my first Kindle single last night called, My Seinfeld Year by Fred Stoller. Fred is a somewhat known face on TV sitcoms and a few movies. He spent a year working as a writer on Seinfeld and that year was documented in this "kindle single"

I was interested in Fred's story but it actually isn't very interesting. I don't mean that disrespectfully to him as anyone who can make a living in Hollywood on bit parts and as a stand up comedian is a total success in my book. The industry is brutal and I have high respect for someone who made it through even a year writing for such an amazing show as Seinfeld. But I honestly didn't find the book very funny, witty or interesting. Fred himself admits he is a depressive. His writing approach confirms his statement of himself and I would agree that being depressed would make writing comedy and working in a highly competitive writing atmosphere difficult.

That said about the topic, the whole concept of kindle singles fascinate me and I'm still not sure if I really like the idea or not. They are longer than a magazine article and shorter than a short book. This may work for some stories and could be useful for memoirs or how to books. I'm not super sold on them yet but I'm also not against the idea either. It will be interesting to see if I buy more in the future or not.

No comments: