Friday, February 17, 2012

The Mushrooms Made Me Mad

It has not been a happy week.

Can I just say that I really mean it when I say, "Thank God it's Friday!" All I have to say about that is that I was so undone and upset with everything going on in my world (read serious man problems) that I was angry with everyone today. I suddenly realized I needed to take a moment to relax when I realized that even the poor, left over mushrooms that I found in my refrigerator at noon today were making me angry.

Being a cook who likes to use everything up and not waste food, I realized that I was angry at them because they needed to be cooked. I realized I needed a bit of a reality check, or more likely a fantasy check into a winter weekend of major media infusions. Mushrooms aren't my favorite food and I only eat them when the recipes I'm making require them. There weren't enough of them to make my usual leftover mushrooms dish, a hot or cold salad of mushrooms cooked in vinegar and spices, drizzled with olive oil and garlic. But I realized, as I counted the number silently in my head, that there were enough of them staring at me so I could not just throw them out either. I handled the anger by cooking them soundly this evening in oil and butter with garlic and sprinkled some salt, pepper and parsley flakes on them. I don't read Mastering the Art of French Cooking for nothing!

Of course now it's the weekend and I still am dealing with the difficulties going on in my life but there is brie cheese to eat and Sex and the City 2 to finish so I'm going to work through things. I'm enjoying the mind numbing movie entertainment so much I am considering on watching the entire six seasons of Sex and the City which I have on DVD in it's entirety except for the last three episodes. I don't have the last three episodes because some bright, Hollywood executive decided to split the last season in half. So each DVD of season six only has three episodes! Hello?! And the bright, European version only has the first half of the last six episodes on it's sixth season episode DVD. So, Carrie starts the affair with Mikhail Baryshnikov and I really don't know what happens after he puts the jam in her tea.

But I digress......

In between the TV and cheese, I will be working on Bleak House and I am happy to announce that I just finished, My Life in France. That's the big news. I am now starting Oprah by Kitty Kelly. More on that re read when I get farther into it.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: